Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Gonga

Jay and I went to The Joiners in Southampton to see Hooker, Red 5 and Gonga play. I'd never been there before and I wish I'd known about it 12 years ago. It's a pub with a stage out back. It seems to be a respected venue for up and coming bands and they had posters of previous band who had played there including the likes of Coldplay, Oasis, Reef, Cooper Temple Cause and Kills.

First band was Hooker. (Hint: Don't type that into Google like I just did...) Pretty good sounds, very entertaining and they looked like they were having fun. I'm going to have to find out more about this lot because I was pretty impressed.

Next was Red 5. They looked rather thrown together. The Lead Singer looked like a student. The Bassist and the Drummer looked like they had just come home from working in an accounts department. The Lead Guitarist was in the wrong band totally with his long rocker barnet, rock tats and naked from the waist up. Couldn't find a website for them so I don't know what they're like in the studio but I wasn't overly impressed by their performance. (I actually feel a little guilty saying that because I respect anyone with the balls to go stage like that)

Last was Gonga. All kneel at the temple of Black Sabbath! Top Heavy Metal Guitar Action! They were good but I think they were having an off day which is a shame. I've had a listen to some of their stuff since and really liked what I heard. I get the feeling that they would be a lot better in a bigger room.

One last thing.... Jay, GET THE HEATER IN YOUR CAR FIXED! Brrrrrr...

No comments: