Tuesday, October 21, 2003

"NOT TOO LONG AGO I WAS QUITE THE PROFESSIONAL.
MY FRIENDS AND I WERE THE 'CREME DE LA CREME' IN AN EXCLUSIVE INDUSTRY.
AND WE ALL WORKED FOR THIS MAN...
BILL.
THEN ONE DAY I DECIDED TO LEAVE, SETTLE DOWN AND START A NEW LIFE.
BUT WHEN I TRIED TO GET OUT, THEY TRIED TO DO ME IN.
GUESS THEY SHOULD HAVE TRIED A LITTLE HARDER..."
- - - - - - - - - -

The "Old Klingon Proverb" is the first thing on screen in Kill Bill Volume One. It is exactly right for the film which is one of best films I've seen this year. The action is way better than Matrix Reloaded because you don't need to suspend your disbelief that much and it is grisly in a funny way (I'm a sick puppy) to say the least.

I won't give too much of the story away but I will say that it's about The Bride (Uma) who is left for dead and seeks revenge on the people who tried to kill her. She goes about this with "tear-your-arm-off-and-beat-you-to-death-with-the-wet-end" type violence. Oh, hang on, that IS the story.

I suppose it's not a typical Quentin Tarantino film because it is action driven but the threads of a much deeper story are dangled in front of us and it has a very "soap opera" ending. I hope we will see a lot more of this in Volume Two... along with more swords and yellow jump suits.

Maffy says "See it... SEE IT NOW!"

No comments: