Sunday, December 21, 2003

Metallica

Just got back from seeing Metallica at Earls Court with Andy and in the words of the lead singer of Godsmack, "forget what you've heard before this, Metallica are the f*cking kings of metal." I think fantastic just about sums it up.

We got the whole range from anthemic rock tunes like "Nothing Else Matters" to brutal speed metal like "Fight Fire With Fire" and I am told by Andy is the first time they have played the latter for ages. "Creeping Death", "Seek and Destroy" and "Master of Puppets" were truly amazing.

James was on top form whipping the crowd into a frenzy. Kirk and Lars didn't put a foot wrong as usual and Rob is just Rob but it doesn't feel like he's part of the whole thing yet. I'm not the purist Metallica fan that he is. I know what I like and I like what I hear with Metallica although my Metallica collection seems to be slowly filling up with their back catalogue.

It was an absolutely spectacular performance but it wasn't quite right and it's not because of Metallica. When we came out we weren't sweating like pigs, covered in bruises and our ears weren't ringing. That's right, we were stuck in the seats. I definitely feel like I have witnessed an awesome event but I don't feel like I was part of an awesome event. Strange experience.

At the end of the gig, they announced that they are playing the Download Festival at Donnington in the summer. See you there.

There is also a Metallica biography out in April 2004.

No comments: